[WPTA] 1968 Spitfire for sale

Gary Fredo garyfredo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 08:16:26 MDT 2023

 I've had several members contact me regarding if this car was worth taking a look at.  So let me clarify.  I'm not interested in this car because it's not what I'm looking for.  But this car is in pretty good shape.  Probably priced about right but that's a decision that everyone would have to make on their own.  I would recommend that anyone looking for an early Spitfire should take a look at this car.  Tom is a good guy and is looking for a fair price for his car.  With that said, this car isn't pristine.  If it was then it would probably be more in the $10k - $15k price range.  Paint is good enough for a "driver" with a few flaws.  There is a lot of undercoating on the car as can be seen on the undersides of the bonnet and trunk lid in the pictures.  Note that the interior of the boot/trunk has also been sprayed with undercoating.  Overall the interior was in decent shape.  I think there may have been a small crack on the top dash padding.  I think there was also undercoating under the carpeting.  As far as I could tell, there was no rust on the car but it's anyone's guess on what the floors will look like under all that undercoating.  It didn't run very well when I looked at it but Tom said that was due to old gas.  He replaced the gas and said it runs fine now.
There is a Spitfire of similar vintage in Prospect listed on Facebook right now for $7k with lots of surface rust and lines of rust holes on both floorboards near the rockers - look at the picture of the underside of the car.  Personally, if I was only going to look at one of those two cars, it would be Tom's.
Hope that helps anyone that was thinking about looking at Tom;s car.
Gary