[Vintage-race] Trailer Tires

mhkitchen at aol.com mhkitchen at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 11:24:02 MDT 2008

All:

Interesting discussion and timely as I just had a trailer tire blow-out
yesterday! B  One of three remaining original Carlisle tires on my 2000 Carson
trailer let go on HWY 101 near Gonzales CA in 100 deg heat. B It definitely
delaminated as the tread is still mostly intact, but definitely separating
from the tire body. Of course, these tires are at least 8 years old, but have
little tread wear on them, and not that many miles (although one other blew
out about 5 years ago).

These are on a 20ft enclosed trailer, and it was hauling a Mini at the time
(estimate about 5,000 lb GVW). B  With no spare, I took off the blown tire and
wheel and I managed to stuff a 4 X 4 block between the spring perch and the
frame to keep the front axle off the ground. B I pumped up the remaining tire
on that side to 60 psi, and then limped home at 45MPH on the 3 remaining
wheels the remaining 70 miles (convinced me to also buy a spare for this
thing). B

Taking the weight off the wheels is probably a good idea if you don't tow it
often. B I also wonder as that side of the trailer gets more daily sun, and
perhaps those tires are getting too much UV exposure? B Perhaps tire covers
are also a good idea if you don't drive a lot?

Most of these tires are all made in China now, which also causes some
concerns. B Anyone have any tire brand/model recommendations20here?

Regards,

Myles H. Kitchen

1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128=0