[Vintage-race] FIA Spridget and Webber Question

dmeadow at juno.com dmeadow at juno.com
Fri Jul 13 18:23:22 MDT 2007

Jack,

OK, I pulled out the SVRA Supplemental Regulations for Austin Healey
Sprite and MG Midget that you faxed me on June 5, 2001.  Can you believe
I still have this crap?  I've REALLY got to do some closet cleaning!

It does say that a Single Weber DCOE carburetor and manifold are OK as an
"SVRA approved option."  However, it doesn't say that there is no size
restriction on SUs, and, in fact, specifies 1.25" SUs in the top section
under Engine.

I interpret this to mean you can run 1.25" SUs or you can run a Weber.
Now, I suppose there is a thread of logic that says if there is no
apparent throat restriction on Webers that would imply there would be
none on SUs, given performance.  However, as Technical Director I'm sure
you would say "if the rules don't say you can do it, then you can't."
Therefore, I don't see how you could run a 1.5" SU according to the
Supplement.  Maybe there is a general rule out there that I don't have.
I do remember being surprised when I got to the event (Zippo in '01) and
seeing a 1.5" SU setup on a SVRA car or two.  Not that I cared much,
considering I wasn't contemplating running anything but 1.25" SUs, but I
do remember reading the rules closely and being surprised.

My memory being what it is, I didn't remember what was said about a
Weber, specifically, although I do remember the size of the SUs being
apparently limited.

So that's where I ever got that idea, right or wrong.  Of course, this is
now a long time ago and the rules, as I stated, have changed since.

David