[TR] 4th gear

John Macartney John.Macartney at Ukpips.org.uk
Tue May 25 14:31:38 MDT 2021

Dave, it was effectively always thus. Overdrive third and direct fourth were very close on all cars where overdrive was offered as an option. Similarly, there wasn’t a lot to choose between overdrive second and direct third. The main selling point we emphasised was that in heavy traffic, it was a lot easier to flick the switch in and out, rather than keep pumping away on the clutch pedal and cog swapping. In fact, that was one of the key features of the Laycock unit. Too many people look on it mainly as a higher gear above fourth but that was not the original idea. Try storming a mountain pass with its serpentine bends using only second and second overdrive, or one up on the tree, and you then really appreciate its value :)

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intentions.