[TR] would any of you re-use head studs?

Cliff Hansen cliff_hansen at outlook.com
Wed Mar 17 08:50:40 MDT 2021

Thanks to all of you who replied, either on the list or privately. I appreciate your advice.

All replies say that it is fine to re-use the studs and nuts, provided the threads of both are in good shape and there is no corrosion etc. on the studs. The key is to achieve proper clamping, which requires the threads to be in good condition so as not to waste torque overcoming thread friction.

After a good cleaning, I chased the threads on both nut and stud, noting no removal of metal from any of these pieces. Nuts spin freely down to the end of the stud thread. I’ll be re-using them, just as soon as I can get one exhaust valve (out of stock where I’ve looked but expected soon, seems to be a common feature of supply chains these days.).

Best regards,

Cliff