[TR] TR Head Studs - Humor

Bill Brewer billbrewer59 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 14:40:23 MST 2021

     So I have a 1953 Morgan and a 1960 TR3A. The Morgan has the original
Standard Vanguard engine, which is the precursor to the TR2 engine. It uses
the same short block internals as a TR3, but has a different head, manifolds
and uses 7/16ths head studs while the TR3 uses ½” head studs. When
rebuilding the Morgan engine, the head studs were stretched, corroded and
bent, so I had to source new ones.

     I called ARP to ask them. The conversation went something like this:

                Me: I need head studs for a very uncommon engine.

                ARP: Man, I’ve heard them all. What da ya got?

                Me: A 1953 Morgan with the original Standard Vanguard
engine.

                ARP: (Crickets)

                Me: Are you still there?

                ARP: Yah. I have never heard of any of those things. Let me
put you through to custom fabrication.

                Me: Wait, wait, wait. I need 7/16ths studs, 10 and a half
inches long, coarse on one end and fine on the other.

                ARP: Why didn’t you say so? That’s a head stud for a 302
Ford.

     They worked great. About $77 delivered from ARP.

     Bill Brewer

     Morro Bay, CA