[TR] early TR4

Cliff Hansen cliff_hansen at outlook.com
Tue Jul 13 10:54:42 MDT 2021

Dave,

The only other place I can think of to leak is the pinion seal at the front. There’s a chance that the old seal has worn a groove in the pinion flange, which can be remedied by a Speedi-sleeve.

When I removed the seal from my 4A IRS’s diff, the seal material was leather and it was leaking terribly.

If you are going to change the seal yourself, I would mark the position of the castle nut relative to the pinion input shaft, and reinstall to the same position. The nut sets the preload for the pinion bearings, and assuming your car uses the solid spacer removing and replacing that nut to the same position shouldn’t change the preload.  That’s the best I understand it.

Cliff