[TR] Flat Towing a TR6

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jul 7 05:37:07 MDT 2021

 I flat towed a TR6 50 miles.  Within a year the transmission was making ominous noises of galled mainshaft bushings.  But others have made reports of no issues.
Quick question: did your transmission have overdrive?  I have a working theory that transmissions with overdrive survive much better because the moving drive shaft will rotate the planetary gear assembly which is partially submerged in oil.  The rotating planetary gear assembly will distribute oil about the OD case and some, enough, finds its way into the main gearset lubricating the mainshaft bushings.  Non-overdrive transmissions have no such feature and the bushings go dry.
I know nothing about the Toyota box but I suspect it is more like the non-OD Triumph unit.

Dave