[TR] Engine Starting Issue...

Joel Justin j_bar_j at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:09:50 MDT 2021

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question. I've got a 1965 Triumph 2000 Mk1 Saloon. The engine is basically a GT6 2 liter with dual Stromberg CD150 carbs. I have a starting issue and I'd like to tap into the wisdom of this group. When I first go to start the car, I give it a little choke, pump the accelerator once or twice and leave it at about half throttle, and turn the key. The car always starts right up, even if it's been sitting for a month. But if I pull it out into the driveway, and turn it off (or stall it 😉), then try to restart it, it struggles. It cranks and cranks with the RPMs increasing like it's thinking about starting, and sometimes it does, but others, it takes several cycles of that before it starts. The warmer the engine, the harder it is to restart. If I let it cool for say a half hour, it starts right up again. The carbs were rebuilt about a year ago (this happened before and after the rebuild). I've replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one thinking it might be a weak fuel pump, but that didn't solve it. I improved my grounding to ensure I wasn't stealing coil voltage for the starter, and I even replaced the starter with a high-torque version to get a higher spin rate. None of this helped. I thought vapor lock might be the issue (I also installed a head shield for the carbs), but it happens when it's cold too. The only thing left I can think of is that the carbs are flooding. But when I rebuilt them, I was careful to set the float height. Before I pull the carbs to check/adjust, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this?

Thanks, Joel Justin...
1954 TR2
1958 10 Estate
1960 TR3A