[TR] Converting from DOT3 to DOT5 hydraulic fluid in my TR4A

auprichard at uprichard.net auprichard at uprichard.net
Sat Aug 21 15:17:43 MDT 2021

I had White Post rebuild the master cylinder on my TR2.  When I installed
it, it leaked badly.  I sent it back and they told me it was because I had
used Dot 5 (I hadn't).   They fixed it a second time but it still leaked.
By this time the paint was shot because of the DOT 3/4 I had dutifully used.

Moral of the story:  I wasn't thrilled with the work done by, or the
attitude of, White Post, but I am using DOT3 in the TR2.  All my other cars
have DOT 5 and the paint is good.

Randall Young always said that companies would not guarantee their work if
DOT 5 was used, but there was no evidence (in his opinion) to support their
claims.

Andrew Uprichard
Jackson ,Michigan