[TR] Converting from DOT3 to DOT5 hydraulic fluid in my TR4A

CAROLINE MCGAHEY mcgaheyrx at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 19:12:44 MDT 2021

LOL
I wasn’t going to say anything, but converting from DOT3 to DOT5 is a terrible thing to do - I converted 2 cars - I’ve gone back on both of them and will never do that again. DOT 5 WILL leak - I’ve discovered leaks, when changing brake pads, before I otherwise knew I had them. Maybe it’s because water settles to low points in a DOT 5 system.
DOT 3 is better and will never leak if you completely change the fluid every 24 months - - more frequently if you don’t drive the car much.
This is my experience over the last 4+ decades with many Triumphs and I’m not interested in arguing with the many of you that will have different opinions - which is why I initially wasn’t going to say anything.

Cheers,
Jack Mc

Sent from my iPad