[TR] 30 years. 3 decades.

John Macartney John.Macartney at Ukpips.org.uk
Sun Apr 11 11:33:23 MDT 2021

A big thank you from me too, Mark. It was about 1996 when I first joined with my first computer at home and with a painfully slow dial up connection. It was a great joy (and still is) to be able to read about people’s experiences with the cars and the company I came to know so well so many years ago. My preferred Triumphs weren’t popular in North America over the years but it’s been a periodic privilege to occasionally impart my own memories of how things were when I’ve noticed occasional blips that have become lore - and have attempted to rectify misconceptions. I’ve been Standard and Triumph-less for a long time now but this list has often enabled me to meet many owners who have visited the U.K. and I particularly remember a very happy weekend spent with the late (and much missed) Fred Thomas who was fascinated at my techniques of using overdrive when travelling quite fast on our relatively narrow and serpentine British roads.
Well done for keeping us all together over so many years and for my part, a very big Thank You for your Herculean efforts in keeping everything together for our collective benefit and interest.
I still never cease to be amazed that so many of the cars I remember with such fondness are still going because they were never ever designed to last as long as they have. In fact, one of many conversations I had with Harry Webster (ST’s Engineering Director) some years before died, revealed he was just as surprised himself.

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intentions.