[TR] Milled head

George Haynes ghaynestr4 at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 12:56:10 MDT 2021

Cliff,
After I milled my TR4A head .060", I realized a previous owner had already done the same.  It was .120" total.Same problem with pinging and limited advance.

The solution was to install two copper head gaskets and use 93 Octane fuel.This worked great for years, until I had a chance to buy another head and go back to one head gasket.
If your pushrods are too long, consider shimming the rocker shaft under the pedestals.  Make sure one shim has a hole for the oil entering the rear pedestal!
Try .010" first.  Resurfacing the rocker tips would be a good idea if they are dimpled.  Observe the rocker tips as they sweep across the valve stems through each valve's complete lift.The geometry can easily be messed up with accellerated wear on the guides.Don't even bother asking how I know this.

Best wishes,George Haynes