[TR] bolt lengths used on Triumphs

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed Apr 7 11:28:30 MDT 2021

John Deere specifies a 5/16 x 2 1/8” bolt to hold rake teeth on their older hay rakes – a very low tech application. I always think – why? I use 2 ¼” long bolts and it works fine. As far as a blind hole goes, you could always run a bottoming tap in there to make sure you have a full thread to the end. Make sure the hole is clean with no oil taking up the space – that can cause the bolt to “bottom out” before it really does.

Alex Thomson