[TR] TR4 Ignitions switch AUX vs.ON

ptegler at verizon.net ptegler at verizon.net
Wed Sep 30 09:48:07 MDT 2020

Here Here!In 2004 I had a dozen of so people in my garage, rebuilding 6-8 transmissions in a group tech session. One fellow (without a tranny in hand) simply drove up in his Triumph for the day's event.  One question he posed during the day to those in attendance,  was what might be draining his battery when the car was just sitting for a week or so.
We all told him to just put a battery cut-off switch in to be safe, at least until he figured out his long standing battery issue.

Fast forward to  2010? - 2012? time frame...we (our gang) get an email telling of the demise of his car and his exit from the hobby.  As the story goes, he heard a loud crack from the garage (attached). Upon opening the kitchen/garage door, he was met with thick acrid black smoke that instantly filled the kitchen/house.  both his Triumph and wife's SUV were engulfed in flames.  The smoke in the house was bad enough that it killed his two large amazon parrots. Needless to say building damage as well as the loss of two cherished pets and two motor vehicles was enough for the wife to say "you're done! no more cars!"

Now considering the design of these vehicles, there is quite an array of wiring that sits 'live' all the time, many unfused.  A little vibration and chaffing can easily reduce insulation thickness etc. Cracked and brittle jackets... the list goes on.

IT CAN NOT BE STATED UNEQUIVICABLY ENOUGH..... INSTALL A BATTERY CUT-OFF.
If for no other reason, the simplicity of safely working on the car as needed,.... theft deterrent, etc.
If for a good reason, peace of mind, and  the story above.  (yes true story above..from someone that DID 'have a clue' about what he was doing.)

ptegler