[TR] Embarrassing, but, stuck driver's door on GT6

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 5 11:11:51 MDT 2020

I had a similar problem with the outer handle.  There is a plastic bit
in the handle mechanism with a pin that goes in the handle.  It looks
weak and mine broke.  At first, I could use the key and turn it to the
unlock position then pull the handle while holding the key and have the
door work, but that didn't last long.  Took things apart and found the
problem of the broken plastic bit.  Re-sculpted the end of the plastic
bit with hot melt glue and it worked perfectly twice.

The attached picture shows the broken bit.  The end of the white plastic
part should have a round hole with a cotter pin to engage the latch
handle.  I removed the spring so the plastic part was more visible.

Tired of having to open the driver's side door from the passenger's
side, I ordered a matched set of new handles from TRF.  They were on
sale and cheap enough that it was well worth the cost of not having to
always open the passenger door to reach through and open the drivers
door.  I was also very concerned the passenger door handle would fail,
leading to a bigger problem.

There are some adjustments on the rods that open the door latch.
Recommend you take off the inner door panel, make sure the rods are
straight, remove and lubricate the door latch, and look in the door
itself to check and see if the connection to the outer handle is broken.

Other things to try:
- The door sags.  Have someone outside help lift the door while you try
the inside latch.
- The frame is flexible.  Put a jack under the frame at the door and
jack up the car and try again.

After you get the door open, test the handles and latch multiple times
before closing again.  You can use a decent sized round object (I used a
#3 Phillips screw drive) to simulate the strike plate on the body of the
car.  Slide the round part of the lock plate in like you are closing the
door then try the inside handle a couple times as it seems more sturdy.
When that works, try the outside handle again after you figure out why
it didn't work.

For others - I have both the GT6 and a TR6 and the handles are difference.

Brian