[TR] free part

Greg Lemon grglmn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 18:51:18 MDT 2020

I used to buy an sell on eBay a lot.  Started in the late 90s.  In the
early days they called it a community, and to some extent it was.  Suddenly
easy to find or sell old obscure car parts that had a very limited market
locally.  Many of the folks doing it were hobbyists like our listers here.

In the early days no buyer protection, you bought based on an online
description (remember the days before pictures were even common?) mailed
your check or money order, and hoped the seller was honest enough to send
you the item and it would be as described.  Sellers started taking
advantage, bogus accounts, gouging on shipping.  E bay put in buyer
protection.

Some buyers figured out that they could basically blackmail sellers by
leaving bad feedback, warranted or not, and they put in feedback disputes
and such to make it harder to leave negative feedback.

They also upped fees and restructured them to incentivize to list, charging
all or the lion's share of fees on sale and giving listing discounts to
volume sellers.

So we end up with 100s of listings for pink steering wheel covers and valve
stem caps with skulls on them for our Triumphs.

And somehow, despite increased volume and automation, with eBay and PayPal
fees, sellers pay 10-15% fees per transaction, as opposed to 2.5-3.5% in
the early days.

So like most things in the world a few bad apples and big corporate
management sort of ruined it for the rest of us.

Greg Lemon
TR250