[TR] TR2 to TR3 Transition Question

DAVE HOGYE dlhogye at comcast.net
Fri May 15 22:16:13 MDT 2020

Well, as far as I know there were no scallops on the TR2 aprons.  I have a long door TR2 that has the original apron and I have seen one other like this on a TR2.  All of the TR3 aprons that I have seen had the scallops and holes for the grill and or the forward trim surround.  I have seen a TR2 for sale that the seller said had all TR2 sheet metal, but the apron had the scallops as well as worms hanging on the back side of the apron where there was quite obviously a TR3 grill and trim fitting holes.  In this case, it was absolutely a TR3 apron fitted to a TR2 long door.  However, was there a sharing of panels between model production overlap?  I could not say for sure...I just know it's true.  The forward grill of the TR3 makes sense to have the scallops behind the grill.  TR2s deep set egg crate grill would not provide the necessary protection of objects entering the engine compartment, like perhaps a sparrow, through the open scallops.  I have a couple beat up old TR3 aprons and they all have the same scallops and holes.  No worms though, but that sparrow would have certainly been drawn to them.
DH