[TR] valve cover venting

Dave dlhogye at comcast.net
Wed May 6 19:10:42 MDT 2020

Dave,
You may need to just seal things up a little tighter or clean your engine more often.  A little seepage is more of a sealing problem.  There is a lot of oil flinging around inside the cover.  A lot.  Especially if you have the auxiliary oil feed tube to the rocker shaft.  If the original draft tube is in place, the engine should be breathing enough.  You could get more venting from the valve cover by running a tube to a catch can.  It doesn't look like you have a real problem there.  When an engine isn't venting enough, it will push oil out of every possible spot.  Like the dipstick hole.  That would be an indicator of a real breathing problem.  The venting on my race car valve cover connects to the original draft tube location and they both feed into a catch can as per the rule book and proper ventilation of a race engine. If oil does get into the valve cover bent or block vent, it drains right back into the block. My catch can will only have oil in it if something catastrophic happens.  I used to run K&N filters on my oil vent catch can, but once the filters got a little wet from oil vapors they stopped venting and oil started coming out other places, like the dipstick hole.  Since I have removed the filters, I have not had any issues.
Clean your engine more often,
Dave H.

Sent from my iPad