[TR] Gasket sealant for sump

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Sun Mar 29 04:54:57 MDT 2020

I have used Permatex Ultra Black on a number of occasions and have had good luck. Disassembly of items cemented together with this product can be challenging, though. Maybe I should try the "ultra-gray". I find things work best if you can insert a couple of studs into the larger half of whatever is being assembled so that the attached item goes on straight, without any sideways movement. I have found that large gaskets for tractor transmission castings have gotten really expensive ($50 plus) and then sometimes they either come damaged from shipping, crack & break when being installed, or holes don't line up properly for bolts. As a result, I tend to use the "gasket-in-a-tube" approach more than ever. Sometimes I find it challenging to decide what product to buy - there are so many.

Alex Thomson