[TR] TR3 on Bring a Trailer

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 21 13:47:51 MDT 2020

I owned a 56 for awhile that had door handles.  Was never absolutely certain
(door handles were part of the GT option on early cars), but my assumption
was that someone had replaced the doors.

That wouldn't explain the separate turn signals on the back of course.
However, lots of forward details are correct, so I'm guessing the rear apron
has either been replaced with a later one, or someone has added the turn
signals.  The factory did use separate plinths on a few cars; I even found a
part number for the plinth once (although I don't have it handy).  If you
could find (or reproduce) a pair of those, then adding the turn signals
wouldn't be all that difficult.

Or, FWIW, I once looked at a TR3A for sale that was literally two different
cars, split through the middle and welded together.  The owner admitted as
much, said one car had been wrecked in the back so they bought a second car
that had been wrecked in the front (or maybe it was the other way round) and
grafted them together.  Unfortunately, one was pre-TS60K and the other was
not.  Some other little touches (like the chrome plated dashboard and all
pipes painted in contrasting colors to indicate contents) convinced my
friend to keep looking :)

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild