[TR] Perplexing A-Type OD Problem

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sat Jun 27 13:04:45 MDT 2020

Ooooohhhhh, you mean your voltage “stabilizer”!!!   I always think of the “voltage regulator”’as the device that controls the generator!

The transistor voltage stabilizers
I have seen use a simple diode plus transistor to do the work.   This is not ideal.   It is only approximately 10 volts and it varies with current load.

Bad spikes can definitely damage those components and there is no spike “protection” as such in these stabilizers.

I made my own stabilizer with a 10 volt automotive-rated regulator LM-2940-10.  I didn’t use any extra spike protection, just the recommended capacitors.  And it has been perfect for about 16 years!

-Tony

Sent from my 1837 Babbage Analytical Engine