[TR] A smart or dumb idea for TR6 Steering column

Jeff Nathanson jeffn at msystech.com
Fri Jun 19 09:23:26 MDT 2020

Hello,

I'm one of those silent subscribers. But, now I have an idea and wanted to
pass it on for suggestions/criticism . I just changed the two steering
column bushing in the 1972 TR6. But, when I grab the steering column from
inside the engine bay, there still is a lot of play. As can be seen by the
below picture, the steering column can rattle around in the hole in the fire
wall.

So, my idea was to pack some rubber around the steering column (1.25 inches
OD) from inside and force it through the fire wall. I got a pair of rubber
chair legs from Amazon.

I cut off the "floor" end and then cut off some more so that is about 0.75"
remaining

.

After removing the steering column from the car, I can now place this rubber
"concoction"  around the front end of the steering column and place it
through the fire wall so it fills the gap. I have not yet completed this
task because of problems securing the four screws in the large rubber
cushion connecting the two steering rods.

So, my question is:

1)    Was the gap in the file wall around the steering intentional?

2)    Do you think this would mess up anything?

3)    Would I feel more or less vibration at the steering wheel?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff N.