[TR] How did the factory add on factory options

John Macartney John.Macartney at Ukpips.org.uk
Thu Jun 4 12:48:55 MDT 2020

As someone who worked there when your Stag was in production and earlier models as well, the production indent (the internal order from the sales Dept to production control) specified

Model
Body colour
Trim colour
Speedo head - miles or Kim’s
Steering position
Destination market
Line fitted options I.e. overdrive, auto box, wire wheels chrome or painted, tyre types, tonneau cover and colour, soft top colour, hardtop. These were the most popular options. On top of that, the destination market kicked in a whole raft of other fixtures and fittings such as low comp engines, heavy duty suspension, wiring loom types and fuse boxes, varying radiator sizes, fans, lighting that was left/right/vertical dip with white or yellow bulbs, under bonnet stickers in umpteen languages, ditto instruction books. That stuff was endless but it was all computer coded with the facility to override certain features. All this was done as the car went down the line.
Things like radios, door/wing mirrors, extra lamps, mud flaps were fitted by the selling dealer.
Every now and again, an oddball car went down the line that was the result of a miscoding error by production control. I can personally attest to having seen:

Triumph Toledo with two doors on one side and one on the other
A Herald with a LHD instrument panel and steering wheel with a RHD pedal layout
A Spitfire with wire wheels on the front, disc wheels on the back and one of each type and both fitted with a whitewall tyre in the boot as a spare.

Happy days

Jonmac

At the Battle of Waterloo, 1815:
Lord Uxbridge:  “By God, Sir - I’ve lost my leg”
Duke of Wellington: “By God, Sir - so you have!”