[TR] How did the factory add on factory options

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Thu Jun 4 12:40:06 MDT 2020

On 6/4/2020 12:24 PM, Don Hiscock wrote:

> Jonmac and I were having an email conversation about some of the
> regional customization the other day (around lighting regulation
> differences across the continent in the day) that might be relevant
> here, too.  John noted that customization could be done in line
> production, in Sales Conversion, off-line before dispatch by train, or
> by the selling dealer. Where options were added relate to how deep
> they're built into the car.  Adjustable steering on a sidescreen car
> would obviously be done on the line.  Windscreen washers and mirrors,
> for example, were usually done by the dealer.

Even into the `80s, this was still being done, to a degree, by notable
manufacturers such as Toyota, although it was for purposes of economy of
shipping.  Before Toyota began investing in plants in the U.S., the cars
came to the U.S. on Toyota's own fleet of ships which were equipped with
hydraulically positioned decks. The cars were chained down to pots in
the deck, the tires inflated to ~ 80 psi, which locked them in place.
Then the upper deck was brought down to about an inch above the car
roofs and filled with another layer of identical models.

One might realize that this method obviated the ability to install
things that stick up and out--radio antennae, roof racks, fancy
non-standard wheels and tires, etc.  The ship pulled up at the port, the
drivers boarded the ship on foot with a special half-gallon gas can,
grabbed the nearest cars. fueled them and drove them down the ramp at
the front of the ship to a holding area, where they were tagged with
work order to install all the equipment that didn't fit.  From there,
they went to long sheds where assemblers fitted them out.  All that was
done at the port before the cars went onto over-the-road or rail transport.

Pretty neat, because when the ships were empty, they backtracked to the
Gulf of Mexico ports to which they'd dropped off cars, to pick up fresh
fruits and vegetables, made possible by the adjustable decks and by
refrigerating the ships.  The ships were full coming and going.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....