[TR] How did the factory add on factory options

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 12:24:26 MDT 2020

Here's what part of the Coventry production lines looked like in 1958.
Maybe this will give some insight into how things were done.  It's clear
S-T campaigned body colors, and possibly interior colors too.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Zq7NRxF/0/3dfea902/O/i-Zq7NRxF.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3c968hL/0/e52b3d42/O/i-3c968hL.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-n5fdGBR/0/48115ef0/O/i-n5fdGBR.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9RpSbmS/0/9d49a652/O/i-9RpSbmS.jpg

Jonmac and I were having an email conversation about some of the regional
customization the other day (around lighting regulation differences across
the continent in the day) that might be relevant here, too.  John noted
that customization could be done in line production, in Sales Conversion,
off-line before dispatch by train, or by the selling dealer.  Where options
were added relate to how deep they're built into the car.  Adjustable
steering on a sidescreen car would obviously be done on the line.
Windscreen washers and mirrors, for example, were usually done by the
dealer.

Don
Saint Louis