[TR] RPM speed calc

John Macartney John.Macartney at Ukpips.org.uk
Mon Jun 1 13:24:50 MDT 2020

It’s important to remember that cars without overdrive had a higher axle ratio than those with it. As an example, the GT6+ had a 3.27 final drive for non overdrive and 3.89 for overdrive. Just to complicate things, it was entirely possible to order a 3.27 diff with overdrive on top! The factory never promoted this facility for fairly obvious reasons. My own GT6 mk 2 was supplied like that becxause I knew my way around the factory build books. Iit made an excellent cruiser with good fuel consumption but could not pull more than 4000 rpm, even downhill on a motorway. That said, refuelling was a little less frequent.

Jonmac

At the Battle of Waterloo, 1815:
Lord Uxbridge:  “By God, Sir - I’ve lost my leg”
Duke of Wellington: “By God, Sir - so you have!”