[TR] Grease or anti seize (was squeal)

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 06:35:15 MDT 2020

I'm finding more and more that I use a spritz of Fluid Film (a
lanolin-based anticorrosion spray) as a "sort-of" anti seize on surfaces
that might corrode.  I've used Fluid Film as a corrosion treatment on my
Tacomas for years.  There's some on my TR -- and probably ought to be
more.  Note to self.

After a discussion of Fluid Film with a colleague in San Diego who doesn't
know what midwestern corrosion can be, he had a good idea.  He sprays the
mounting surfaces on the wheels of his Porsche Cayman with Fluid Film
before mounting.  They come off easy-peasy that way.  It has the advantage
of while being somewhat greasy, it's *nowhere* near the mess of
copper-based anti seize.  It's a lot more removable if desired.

I'd think about trying it on brake shims.

Under my truck, it generally lasts about a year.  I'll often apply in
autumn before winter and sometimes again in the spring.  It would probably
last for about the same time to prevent brake shim corrosion.

I buy the multi-pack of Fluid Film in aerosol cans.  It's available in bulk
for ones own sprayer, but the rattlecans work for me.

Don
Saint Louis
1962 TR3B TSF202L