[TR] TR6 - wix oil filter with spin on

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Jul 5 08:07:59 MDT 2020

Ditto on that.  There's a YouTube video of a guy who does a pretty scientific comparison of all kinds of stuff, including one comparing oil filters.  WIX/NAPA came out on top easily (they're the same filter, just different branding), as they capture more particulates.

Also seem to remember an article I read about oil.  Synthetic has perfectly round molecules that are all the same size, achieving maximum lubricant property because they act like little ball bearings against each other.  Also didn't break down as fast as Dinosaur oil, which is a bit more anarchic in structure.

So, with the right filter and the right oil it's just fine to run much higher mileage on the same change.

All that said, for many years I had run synthetic oil only to find the cam and tappets had traded materials.  Since that engine rebuild I've been using Valvoline VR1 Racing oil due to it's high zinc.

I would, though, like to get back to a synthetic oil, but not sure which one has high zinc.

Anybody?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire