[TR] TUMBLER

jpaynepbr at cox.net jpaynepbr at cox.net
Fri Jan 31 19:30:22 MST 2020

Bill,

I don’t believe that there was any cad plating on my TR3, I think everything ended up shiny zinc.

The AH had cad plating on the weird thread body fasteners, some plates, jamb nuts and odd fittings for the hydraulic lines, sheet metal screws, and other odd fittings.  Some of the small ¼” fine thread bolts were cad plated too, about 10% maybe?  By and large, most of the hardware was shiny zinc plating on that one.  I may have gotten it wrong, but all of the 10/32 posidrive stuff including nuts and washers I had done in shiny zinc.  The clamps that hold the gauges to the dash are also cad plated.

I did a fair amount on my TR6 too but not all of it.  A lot more of that one was cad plated.

I had a bunch of oddball stuff that I had accumulated over the years including brake fittings and whitworth stuff – I had about 20# of that stuff shiny zinc plated a few years ago.  I have it all organized by size, length and thread and use it as spares, a mini hardware store.

I have had a lot of “junk” come through here over the past 20 years or so, I typically remove anything that is worth saving.  When somebody’s car comes in for a repair and it has a stripped or wrong bolt in it, I try to match it up with a correct spare, I get a kick out of the various markings on the bolt heads and seeing everything match on a given assembly.  “Unbrako” on the TR brake and suspension bits.  “R” for the Austin Healey motor mounts, etc.