[TR] needs repaired

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Mon Jan 27 13:52:28 MST 2020

Warning:   This is not Triumph related.

I'm an uptight New Englander who was taught English grammar by nuns who had
sticks.  8-).     Face Book, was the first place I'd seen this usage.  Now
it appears in a mailing list message.

"Needs Restored like that one."

---------------------------------

I look at that and first wonder, needs restored what?   Then deep in the
recesses of my mind, I hear Sister Thomasina saying  "You will write 'needs
to be restored' 100 times on the blackboard. When you are done, you will
write 'needs restoration' 100 times as well."

So, since it is not a Triumph question, if people want to answer privately,
super.   Do you use this sentence construction habitually?  In what part of
the country do you live?  I was not an English major. I'm definitely not a
great writer and don't spell everything correctly, but I'm extremely curious
to find out the extent of the usage and this is a nice friendly group who
may be able to help me.

Let's hear it for fluif.

Ron L'Herault