[TR] Strange Vibration

Bill Beecher bill_beecher at flash.net
Tue Jan 7 19:58:16 MST 2020

This pressure plate looks more like a TR4 plate with multiple fingers, not a three finger TR3.   I have a couple things to try before I open it up, but I’m afraid that’s where I’m headed.

Thanks,
Bill

Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......MMM

> On Jan 7, 2020, at 6:34 PM, jpaynepbr at cox.net wrote:

Bill,

I purchased a TR3 a few years ago with a freshly rebuilt motor.

Whoever put that motor together overtightened the 4 bolts holding the flywheel to the crankshaft.  They broke.

Flywheel came off the back of the motor and destroyed the transmission case in spectacular fashion.  I’m lucky to have escaped injury.

Those Morgan clutch pressure plates have 3 “fingers” on them that the throwout bearing presses against.  I believe it is the same as an Austin Healey 100 clutch – I’ve seen a few Morgans and AH’s that had one or more of the fingers missing, which would throw things out of balance – they are held in place with a pretty fragile spring.