[TR] Solid or wires

John Macartney John.Macartney at Ukpips.org.uk
Sat Feb 29 11:54:55 MST 2020

ISTR that when I worked in the Export Dept at Standard Triumph five decades ago, the majority of TRs regardless of model, went to the US and Canada with wire wheels as production fitted extras. Similar for Spitfire and GT6. Can’t now remember the split between painted and chrome. Later, when I was selling them to North American visitors from the London showroom, as salesmen we did our damndest to ensure each car had wire wheels and overdrive too. The wires made the car look better and the overdrive made a straight four on the floor far less enjoyable than a seven speeder. And of course, the xtra sales commission was an important ingredient.

Jonmac

At the Battle of Waterloo, 1815:
Lord Uxbridge:  “By God, Sir - I’ve lost my leg”
Duke of Wellington: “By God, Sir - so you have!”