[TR] Timing cover crank seal oil leak

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Dec 25 06:02:37 MST 2020

 This is a TR4, right?  Pretty much the same on TR6.  The seal rides on the spacer.  New spacers are much less money than a Speedi-Sleeve.  I put a new spacer on my TR6 when I replaced the timing chain and it almost doesn't leak.  I think the finish on the spacer is not as smooth as a Speedi-Sleeve so the seal doesn't seal up quite as tight.

Also consider that there is a path for oil to slip through between the spacer and the crankshaft itself.  A little Hylomar might help.
I guess us kids are up early on Christmas Day while the adults (wives) sleep in.  ;-)
Enjoy the season.

Dave