[TR] Overdrive and Sppedometer

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 10:11:52 MDT 2020

Simple solution? Maybe a higher profile tire and/or 16 inch wheels the next time you need tires/wheels. Simple but not cheap.

a larger circumference on the outside edge of the tire, the wheels will actually spin slower at any given speed than the stock setup would. Therefore, the speedometer in the vehicle will read less than the actual speed that is being traveled

> On Aug 24, 2020, at 7:13 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a 1975 TR6.   With the original gearbox, the speedometer was correct.  I took it out to add overdrive and put in a gearbox from a 1974 while I worked on it.  That gearbox made the speedo read about 12% higher.
>
> Got the overdrive on the box and in the car.  My speedo still reads high.  I'd like to find a simple solution...
>
> Do I try to find the right drive gear for the gearbox output, or do I get a different speedometer?
>

> Jeff Scarbrough
> Corrosion Acres, Ga.
> ** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Bud Rolofson

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
69 Spitfire MK III (back up FE engine/dinghy car)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)