[TR] Oil pressure sensor threads

Larry T llst at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 6 22:54:48 MDT 2020

Not sure what threads were used however 40 years ago, I did use a NPT
(1/8 inch ??) brass fitting  for an oil line on a TR6 engine as I was
not aware there were any other threads than  NPT.  Do not recall any oil
leaks at the fitting. The brass is probably soft enough to work with
some teflon tape as the oil pressure is not that high. A straight thread
requires a gasket to seal.

Larry T

from this website
www.hydraulicsdirect.com/ID-british-thread-s/2376.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8JT-4qKI6wIVih-tBh2VSA6QEAAYAiAAEgI6ifD_BwE

  How to ID British Threads

British Pipe Standard fittings are amongst the most popular of all
foreign threads in the world today. These threads come in two versions:
parallel (BSPP), and tapered (BSPT). The thread flank angle for both
tapered and parallel British threads is 55°. NOTE: It is a fairly common
mistake to identify a BSPT (tapered) as an NPT. Always remember that NPT
threads have a 60° thread flank angle, and BSPT has a 55° angle (this
can be verified with a thread gauge). Although BSP is a foreign thread,
it isn’t actually metric. This is why it comes in Imperial sizes: 1/8,
1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and so on.

I get confused with standards and threads used on Triumphs.

Does the oil pressure sender use NPT (*American National Standard Pipe
Thread) *or some British equivalent? I'm planning to install a Smith's
oil pressure gauge, but want to keep the sensor. I need a Tee but notice
some have what appears to be parallel (maybe NPS) threads. Can NPT and
NPS be mixed? Sujit

-- Sujit Roy Cupertino, California