[TR] Shakespeare and Triumphs DO mix

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 14:49:33 MDT 2020

Not particularly TR related, I guess.  I was an English Major in northern California in 1975 when our History of English Lit class took a field trip to ACT Theatre in San Francisco for my first Shakespeare play.  I seem to remember it was Richard II.  Behind me in the upper--upper--upper--did I say free?--nosebleed gallery, was a young man with a large bottle of whisky, which he drank directly from and offered some to me, which I declined.

Then at one point in the play, a buxom...that is very buxom...actress reclined dramatically onto her back facing the audience and spilling her buxomness into the front row audience, as it were.  The inebriated man behind me yelled delightedly,  "What t...ts!"

The theatre turned to look upward at me as if I were the offender.

Top tier 21 year old student that I was, I kept my eyes dutifully on the buxom...I mean...stage.

I figured what the heck, we were all poets here, right????