[TR] TR4A - This Seems Odd

G.D. Huggins gdhuggins at genfiniti.com
Fri Sep 6 08:34:48 MDT 2019

All,

Here’s another thing to ponder whilst I wait for my rebuilt lever shocks to arrive..

My engine will idle under the following conditions:
Idle screws are backed off all the way, not touching the plate, therefore not opening the throttle plate.  (In theory, they are fully closed.)
Mixtures nuts all the way lean. (In theory, there should be ZERO fuel going into the carbs.)
Both the throttle and choke are loosened from the linkage, making sure jets are all the way up, and throttles are not sticking
For the record, these are professionally rebuilt HS6 carbs, with super throttle shaft bushing, perfectly centered jets, etc.

In what is ostensibly a ZERO fuel/air mixture, how is this engine running?
Do these engines just have a magic power to idle when starved?

Has anyone else witnessed this on their own cars?
If so, should I do anything?  If so, what?  (other than maybe looking to make sure the needles/jets are matched correctly)

Kind Regards,

Guy D. Huggins
gdhuggins at genfiniti.com
817.454.6415