[TR] rope trick thingy

dave dave at ranteer.com
Tue Sep 3 12:32:14 MDT 2019

I have used the rope trick once or twice; my neighbor used it his tr6.  We both thought it was easy and convenient.  Guess i should have damaged some parts first so that it became an emergency
-------- Original message --------From: Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com> Date: 9/3/19  1:09 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1 at gmail.com>, "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs at autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [TR] rope trick thingy The “rope trick” is for emergencies, when you just can’t get the head off any other way.  In that case, chances are good that the liners are so stuck they don’t need to be retained.  But also, IMO, if it’s that bad, it’s time to pull the liners anyway (in which case they don’t need to be retained either). I’ve taken apart some pretty sad TR3 motors, and never had to resort to the “rope trick”.  Getting the head off a Stag or TR7 can be a real challenge, but the TR3 has never been a problem for me. - Randall From: Paul DorseySent: Monday, September 2, 2019 9:38 PMTo: Me; Triumph list Team.netSubject: [TR] rope trick thingy Is the rope trick the thing where you put the rope in the cylinder down the spark  plug hole and then turn the engine so that the piston breaks the head gasket seal?  I thought someone said not to turn over the engine?