[TR] Aluminum head?

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Mon Sep 2 21:41:22 MDT 2019

There are 8 nuts for the manifolds - 4 across the top, one each at the
front and rear of the exhaust manifold down a bit lower and a pair under
the manifolds.

You can see the studs for 6 of them here, the rear exhaust bolt is under
the rear bracket at the bottom.  The front exhaust bolt goes through a
hole just above the little ear on the left of the water pump.

http://www.tonydrews.com/2007-8Rebuild/DSCN0117.JPG

I'd be nervous about the rope trick if you want to keep the liners in
place.  I think that's better used if you're going to do a full rebuild
so will be removing liners later.  An alternate version is a way to hold
valves in place while they are serviced with the head on the engine though.

I've always needed to pull the rocker shaft to get to the head studs
under the rocker shaft, but if you can remove them without pulling the
rockers that's OK too.  I'd be happier with the rocker shaft off and the
pushrods pulled out (be careful doing that so you don't pull out a
tappet - although with the head off it's easy to put the tappet back).
There are 10 head bolts / studs.

Cheers, Tony