[TR] What is the correct way to measure fuel pressure

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 21 22:02:15 MDT 2019

> Umm, this might confuse a couple of principles.  Yes, lifting
> a column of liquid by atmospheric pressure limits the column
> to 34 feet (of water, or the equivalent), and the figures
> above reflect that for the lower density of gasoline.  But,
> the fuel system is not pumping against atmosphere.  It's a
> closed system (at least when the float valve is closed), and
> with the gauge directly connected to the fuel line, it's
> definitely a closed system from pump outlet to gauge.  And,
> by definition, the gauge reads PSIG, i.e., pressure above
> atmospheric, regardless of ambient air pressure.

True, but regardless of whether there is atmosphere on top, the pressure
goes down as you get higher along a column.  In effect, the weight of the
fuel (or whatever) inside the column is sitting on top of the pressure at
the bottom, so pressure goes down as you go up.

> In a closed system, pressure equalizes at all points in the
> system, so,
> 2.7 psi at the pump would be 2.7 psi at the gauge.

I disagree.  If, for example, you set up the system I suggested with a 6'
length of pipe, 2 psi at the bottom and no fuel coming out the top; then you
plug the top with a pressure gauge, the pressure does not magically increase
just because there is a plug there.  The gauge still reads 0 psig.

Normally, this effect is too small to notice, because we work with much
higher pressure in hydraulic systems.  3 or 4 psi in a system that works at
hundreds of psi (like a clutch) doesn't make enough difference to notice.

-- Randall