[TR] Pain job for 1972 TR6

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 7 18:39:19 MDT 2019

> I have never encountered what I would consider a "square"
> threaded bolt in almost 30 years of working on TR6's.  Maybe
> that is a descriptor I am unaware of.

P/N UL2705, described as "Screw - Hexagon - Acme thread" in the standard
hardware catalog.  Like Michael said, they engage with what the catalog
calls "Fix Nut - Simmons ACME 'J' type" (prefix FA) or else "Fix Nut -
Simmons 'J' type" (prefix FJ).  I've attached a clip from the SPC.

Clamping force is definitely limited, they aren't as strong as a regular
bolt and nut.  But the "square" ACME threads are actually a bit stronger
than using regular V threads in a clip nut.  They should be able to hold a
fender in place, but perhaps not strong enough to distort it to fit.

The reproductions I got from TRF some years ago did not have pointed tips,
just a small amount of taper to a more-or-less flat tip.  Originals I found
on my Stag were similar (but not the same length as the TR6 versions, I had
to cut down the TR6 bolts to fit).

-- Randall