[TR] Pain job for 1972 TR6

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Mon Oct 7 17:31:08 MDT 2019

On 10/7/2019 3:15 PM, Gene M wrote:
> Chad,
>
> Diameter of the bolt is the same on the entire shaft instead of
> tapered like a modern sheet metal screw, and threads were squared off
> and smooth instead of the angled with a machine bite like a sheet
> metal screw.

These are not exactly unique.  In the industry, I think they were
branded as Spirox screws, and are generically known as "christmas tree"
screws.  They are straight-shank, but have a conical, pointed end, with
a modified Acme thread.  They're made to be received by a similar nut
encapsulated in a stamped sheet metal clip.  And they're quite adequate
for securing sheet metal panels--the panels certainly don't just hang on
them.  Otherwise, the car--even when new--would be a rolling symphony of
rattles and creaks and knocks.

> Have you seen an original  TR6 body panel that had primer next to bare
> metal?  I don't know if it is true what the hardware store WW II
> employee told me about the Brits dipping every metal part in lacquer
> paint.  This vet told me during WW II they had these big vats in the
> barns in rural England and all the metal fabricated parts for
> everything were dipped and air dried to prevent rust.  These parts
> would hang there and be available for the war effort.

> He figured maybe after WW II ended, these vats with the lacquer paint
> and the malleable metal parts that could be re-pressed into what my
> car was made from.
>
> He's probably pulling your leg (or was an idiot), given that the TR6
> began life twenty-four years after the end of the war.  Yes, there
> were probably leftover parts, but they went with the war materiel in
> other conflicts (the Brits were fighting what they called the "Malay
> Emergency" beginning in 1948 and also had about ten percent of UN's
> forces in the Korean War beginning in 1950).  Given the extreme
> shortages of everything in the UK post-war, the chances were very high
> that unused steel stampings were resmelted.  I think John McC. can
> attest to the fact that the bodies of everything made at Coventry were
> made from virgin sheet metal and not made of leftover Doncaster
> floorboards.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....