[TR] Vacuum Leak

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Fri May 31 14:15:49 MDT 2019

Randall was right.  I did have multiple problems.  Closer inspection of the ground in the distributor plate showed it was connected and tested fine with an ohms check, but in truth was hanging on by just a few threads.  Fabricated another and now spark is exceptional out of the wire.  Don't ask me how I know that but if you'd like a recommendation of the type screwdriver to test the wire to ground, I can tell you which kind NOT to use.

So...the 3 has spark to the plugs and has fuel to the carbs.  Engine cranks but won't catch.  Rechecked float specs and they're good.  Reset richness to 12 flat start-up specs.  So good.  Ran a timing light to see if it had jumped time, tested good.

I'm now suspecting a severe enough vacuum leak to keep the gas from being sucked into the chambers.  Checked valve lash, no issues.  Compression test shows 90 plus in all cylinders.  I can't see the intake manifold gasket on the bottom, but that's where it would be...if it is.

Question:  with the carbs off and using the solenoid to crank the engine, how much should one feel suction against ones hand at the ports of the intake manifold?  I'm barely feeling any if at all.  Certainly not enough to draw gas in.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667

New Hampshire