[TR] Troubleshooting TR3A fuel gauge

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Thu May 30 05:35:13 MDT 2019

 No, the TR3 gauges are quite different from the TR4-6 style gauges.  The TR3 gauge has a compensating coil to stabilize the reading over varying supply voltages.  Since the TR3 has a mechanical temperature gauge the fuel gauge is the only gauge that needs this feature.  The TR4 introduced the electrical temperature gauge and the voltage stabilizer style was adopted, probably for cost purposes since there are now two gauges that require voltage compensation.
I've calibrated (or attempted to) my TR3 fuel gauge and it is quite the fiddly process.  Probably another reason for the change.

An interesting note: the TR7 and TR8 reverted to the self-compensating gauges which include the compensating coils.

Dave