[TR] Troubleshooting TR3A fuel gauge

Dave MacKay dave at mdmackay.ca
Thu May 30 01:41:11 MDT 2019

On 30 May, Dave Connitt <dconnitt at fuse.net> wrote:

>Hi Dave,

>Doesn’t the TR3 have a voltage regulator for the fuel and temperature
gauges like the TR4 and TR4A?

>Dave Connitt

The TR3A came with a generators that required a control box (voltage
regulator). The regulator can be eliminated if the car is modified to use
an alternator. I got rid of my regulator when I installed the alternator.

When present, the control box only served the ammeter directly. The
ammeter, in turn, is connected to the unswitched side of the fuse box. The
fuel gauge is connected to the switched side of the fuse box..

Thanks,

Dave MacKay

TR3A s/n 68639L

Near Toronto, Canada