[TR] Differences between a bolt - hexagon head and a setscrew - hexagon head

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 21 01:01:47 MDT 2019

> My Stag parts book shows three fasteners holding on the water
> pump cover.
>
> 1 is a bolt (HU) no washer needed nor shown, the other two
> are setscrews (HU) 2 washers needed and are shown.

I believe the distinction is that a "setscrew" has no unthreaded shank
portion, while a "bolt" does.

Then what I would call a "set screw" (a short screw with no head, so it can
go entirely within a threaded hole), the British call a "grub screw".

The Stag water pump SPC page I'm looking at calls for (3) of WP0008 "washer,
plain" on the water pump.  I'm fairly confident the 3rd one goes under
HB0811 even though there is only one drawing of it (under HU0806).  There
are quite a few different editions of the Stag SPC, and I've found lots of
errors in all of them.  (Oddly enough, the later ones seem to be even worse
than the earlier ones.)  So I'm guessing you're looking at a different
version, and the qty (2) for WP0008 is a misprint.  Or not; but I don't know
of any reason the two short ones would need a flat washer and not the longer
one.  (HB0811 is 1-3/8", while HU0806 is only 3/4".)

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild