[TR] Pertronix Failure?

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Wed May 15 19:41:10 MDT 2019

Okay, so I was wrong.  I thought the intermittent engine miss on the TR3 had to do with a dislodged damper on the forward carb.  Test drive said no, engine still stumbled, cleared, stumbled again.  Changed fuel filters out because they were due anyway.  Problem persisted.  Checked the floats movements, all fine.  Problem persisted.  Finally just swapped the carbs entirely with spares that I knew worked, problem persisted.  So...not fuel.  If it were valves, it wouldn't be intermittent, unless a valve were sticking, right?

Next up assumption is it's electrical.  Swapped the distributor, wires and rotor with spares I knew worked.  Problem persisted.  Checked for potential electrical shorts.  Nothing obvious.  Yeesh!

I run a Pertronix.  Went online and read about Pertronix troubleshooting.  Piece I read mentioned that the trigger magnet that spins on the rotor can come loose and affect the timing.  I checked this and LO!  The trigger magnet is indeed loose.  I seem to remember when I put it on some eight or nine years ago, that it went on tight.  But it now wiggles about an eighth of an inch back and forth, maybe a bit more.

So question.  Do I remember correctly, it's supposed to be tight?  And second, what would cause it to come loose over time?

I know it could still be a sticking valve, but this first.  Thanks, everyone for patience with this long message.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire