[TR] Love Hate

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Tue May 7 13:58:16 MDT 2019

Yesterday took a 45 minute drive to coach my grandson's 1st and 2nd grade baseball team.  From the start, the TR3 had engine flutters, which would clear up intermittently, then return.  Sometimes it had plenty of power, other times it stumbled.

Sounds electrical, but I'd just replaced the carbs with rebuilt ones.  Maybe the float bowl was overloading and flooding?  Maybe the electric fuel pump had changed values and pushed too much fuel pressure?  Maybe an electrical short somwhere?  Maybe a fuel filter needed changing?  Endless possibilities.

Popped the hood today, checked the wires I'd touched over the winter.  Seemed solid.  Removed the air filters, then went to test the piston travel, when I noticed the cap to the venturi had come completely loose.  No oil dampening whatsoever.  Always went just finger tight on those, but will now use a wrench to lightly snug them down.  Just test drove it, smooth as silk, though I'll cautiously not proclaim a cure until the next trip to Rookie League tomorrow.

I hate it when that happens.  But I love it when the solution is so simple and quick.

BTW:  nearly into Concord, a Statie came flying up behind me, lights flashing.  I pulled to the shoulder, let him by.  Good little boy.  Got to the ball field, came back to the car for something, and saw the flat tire in the back.  Three quarter inch piece of wood piercing the rubber.  Tire ruined.

Never never never use the shoulder of the road!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667

New Hampshire