[TR] TR3A Nut behind the wheel

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed May 1 11:41:43 MDT 2019

> Yeah loctite would work just as well as a lock washer.   When
> I bite the bullet and decide I want to re-thread the wires
> down the steering tube (2nd worst job on the car) I'll add
> that.   What torque do you use?

About all I can get, just holding the wheel with my other hand.  Never tried
to measure it.

FWIW, I usually remove the tube with the wires still inside, unless there is
some reason I need them out of the tube.  Just pull the control head back
until the ends of the wires are at the end of the tube (leaving just enough
sticking out to grab later). Then remove the nut on the front of the
steering box, and the compression sleeve (aka olive) under it.  Wait for the
oil to drain (if any) then pull the control head, wires and tube out as an
assembly.

If I do have to change the wires, I generally pull them through the tube
first, then put the tube back in the column.  I fasten a length of steel
"handy" wire (aka baling wire) to the end of the electrical wires, poke it
through the tube, then clamp the far end in the bench vise.  Then pull the
tube with one hand, while guiding/stuffing the harness into it with the
other hand.

Another alternative might be the penetrating version (aka green) of Loctite.
It is applied with the nut already tightened, and wicks it's way into the
threads.
www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_GREEN_tds.pdf

- Randall